November 12, 2006

Code Camp 2006 - What a great day

The inaugural Twin Cities Code Camp was yesterday at New Horizons of Minnesota in Edina, MN.  I don't have the exact stats, but I heard there about 140 attended!


The facilities were first rate, Magenic provided plenty of pizza and soda for lunch, and the camaraderie was excellent.  I saw .Net people talking to Ruby people talking to Java people; it really warmed the heart :)


I attended the following sessions:



  • Neil Iversen's SharePoint as a Development Platform
  • Jason Bock's State of Languages in the CLR
  • Robert Boedigheimer's Utilizing .NET Cryptography
  • Andy Morrison's Building Reusable Business Processes in BizTalk
  • (my session) Securing Web Serivces in WCF
  • Scot Yokiel's Intro to WCF

Being a security enthusiast, Robert's session was one of my favorites. It distilled the essence of hashing and crypto into very tidy, bite-sized pieces to digest. Grab the slides/code and check it out. Robert has a really nice demo on how to tamperproof querystrings, which Schwans.com has implemented.


The content was first rate, I got to meet a lot of people, see a lot of old friends, learned a lot (technical and about presenting) and the post-event speaker party was good clean fun as well.


Thanks again to Jason Bock for getting this started.  Thanks to all of you who attended, presented and sponsored food/prizes.  I'm looking forward to the next one (April 2007???)!


jk

No comments: