July 11, 2005

Stealing Wi-Fi

State: Wi-Fi cloaks a new breed of intruder

I'm not saying whether I've done this or not, but how many of my loyal readers have done this or know of someone who has? There seems to be a large ethical and legal issue to resolve. Smells like a supreme court case to me.

Is using an unsecured Wi-Fi with out 'implied concent' e.g. being a customer at an establishment offering free Wi-Fi, the crime? Is the crime just stupidity for having an unsecured network?

The anology of leaving your house unlocked and trusting people to do the right thing comes to mind here. If you leave your house unlocked and someone comes in and takes something then it is a crime.

What if municipal Wi-Fi takes off and my trusty wireless adapter finds and switches to a stronger signal that I have not been given concent to use?

Comments?

jk

No comments: