April 15, 2006

Paypal Phishing Phake toolbar

yes, i know Phake is not a word. :)

Seriously, I see the phishing artists are hard at work with new ideas to trick people.

Tonight I received an email in my Junk Mail from "PayPal" which was clearly a phake. This is not new, we've all received emails like this.

I always like to open the phake link to see how accurate it looks compared to the real site. The interesting thing to note about this phishing site is they hid the real address bar and put in a simulated address bar textbox (the dropdown even sort of works on it).

In the picture below, the toolbar on the top with the address "http://0xd35bda31" is the 'real' toolbar (I right clicked and re-displayed the toolbar) and the toolbar with the "https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run" is the phake toolbar.

Is having a removable toolbar in IE really worth it? (I don't have FireFox installed, so I can't test it to see what it does on there. Maybe one of my loyal readers could do that and comment?). Web sites have long been able to hide/show the address and menu bars. Should my browser really allow some random website to voliate my boundries like this? One way to remedy this would be for browsers to create an option to override the ability for script to hide/show menu and address bars.

These types of phishing pages will only get more sophisticated and confusing. Please IE/FireFox, help protect users from this type of deception!

Here is the phake phishing link (PLEASE DON'T GIVE THEM ANY USEFUL INFO!)

Here is the screenshot of the browser with the phake toolbar:


I hope phishing is not good!

cheers
jk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've installed and used this toolbar so far. I see your (VERY valid) points on security and the display of the true address. However, after DL'ing the toolbar from Paypal directly, I was able to shop in MANY more places, much more easily. They added a security feature where you select your security image (out of 30 choices or so), so that's another benefit of it. Just my opinion anyway.