November 04, 2004

Maybe my cup was full?

A few of us attended the Minneapolis .Net User Group this evening for a presentation on Service Oriented (Architecture, Analysis, Design, etc...). I've been annoyed with the expectation of what I thought the presentation should be; a huge nirvana (not the word i'm looking for, but it'll do i guess) of new understanding, etc...

This was not the reality of the presentation; the speaker really just indicated that he didn't have all the answers yet either and really didn't provide anything definitive.

So, a few minutes ago, I remembered a Zen story about 'emptying your cup' to lose all expectations/preconceived notions so the mind is ready to accept new things. Maybe i should take the differing viewpoint and learn something from it or at least challenge my thinking? Maybe i'll wake up in the morning and think this post is absolute crap, but it's a starting point i guess...

No comments: